Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What are the benefits of donating my car to Artworks?
    Artworks benefit by receiving a cash donation to fund new and existing programs. You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus you avoid the costs associated with selling your car. No need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.
  2. What percentage of the proceeds from my car donation will go to Artworks?
    Artworks receives 70% of the net proceeds.
  3. Does my car have to be running to donate it?
    In some cases CARS can take your car, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be towable. Contact a representative at 877-537-5277 to find out if your vehicle qualifies for pick-up.
  4. How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?
    We make donating your car as simple and convenient as possible. In many cases, vehicles can be picked up within the same week.
  5. What if I receive legal notices?
    In the rare event that you receive any notification of a lien sale, DMV actions or other activity related to your donated vehicle, please contact CARS at 877-537-5277 immediately for assistance.
  6. What can I claim as a deduction?
    Donors are no longer responsible for determining the deductible value of their donation. According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.
  7. Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?
    Yes, the CARS driver will issue a receipt at the time of pick-up. This is not your final tax receipt unless the sale of your vehicle does not exceed $500. This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the car you are donating. It will be your only receipt if your vehicle sells for less than $500.
  8. What if my vehicle sells for more than $500?
    An IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.

Welcome to the Artworks vehicle donation page.

Artworks has partnered with Charitable Auto Resources, Inc. (CARS), a national program for the donation of vehicles to non-profit organizations. CARS represents hundreds of non-profit organizations such as WCMU Public Radio, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Cancer Support Community, and many local chapters of national organizations like the American Red Cross.

Donated vehicles can be cars, trucks, motorcycles, and also motor homes, boats and even airplanes. The vehicles do not have to be in working order (but special considerations may apply that can be discussed when contacted by the CARS representative).

The process is very easy. Fill out the CARS donation form at the bottom of this page. When you click Submit, your donation information will be linked directly to CARS.

Within a few days of submitting our form, you will be contacted by a CARS representative, or a towing company contracted by CARS, to schedule a pick up of your vehicle. You must have a clear title to your vehicle.

When you meet the towing company driver, you turn over your keys and signed title to the driver and CARS takes care of the rest.

Your vehicle will be sold, likely at auction, and ArtWorks will receive the proceeds of the sale according to the following formula:

  • Say the vehicle sells for $5000
  • The towing and auction fees are deducted from the sale, say $200
  • The remainder, $4800 is split 70-30 (ArtWorks-CARS) and Artworks will receive $3360

After the sale, you will be contacted by a CARS representative by phone to complete final paperwork for your donation and tax-deduction statement. If the vehicle sells for over $500 (see FAQ’s), you will receive a 1098-C tax form from CARS. Keep this form for your tax records. ArtWorks will then follow up with a personal note of thanks for your donation once we are contacted by CARS.

If you wish to designate this donation for a special ArtWorks project, please call the Artworks Executive Director at 231-796-2420.

To donate your car, truck, RV, boat, motorcycle, or other vehicle, please fill out the form below. A CARS representative will contact you shortly to guide you through the next step in the car donation process. If you prefer, you can contact a CARS representative at 877-537-5277 about donating a vehicle .

A browser that supports iFrames is required to view the donation form. Since your browser does not support iFrames, click on the following link to donate your car or other vehicle: Donate Car